The archeological Guarnacci museum is a collection of masterpieces from the Etruscan times, we could also visit the Pinacoteca Civica, the Museum of Sacred Art, here some details for the optional visit to the museums:
The Sacred Art Museum: It preserves works from the Cathedral and other churches in the surroundings of Volterra such as painted crosses, wooden and marble sculptures, reliquaries and other religious vestments (11th – 16th Century).
Archeological Guarnacci Museum: the origins of this museum date back to the end of the 18th Century thanks to Monsignor Guarnacci who donated his collection to the city. Today it looks like a museum within the museum where we can understand the evolution of the collection. We start with the Villanovian civilization, to continue with the Etruscan cinerary urns: each of them tells a story and reveals how the society evolved from the artistic, spiritual and social point of view. The famous ‘Shadow Of The Evening’ and the urn of the spouses are just some examples of the masterpieces we will find.
Civic Art Gallery, the Pinacoteca: a chronological journey through the history of art in Volterra that begins with a painted cross from the 12th Century, a Pietà by Francesco di Neri… and ends in the 16th Century with masterpieces by Ghirlandaio, Rosso Fiorentino, Daniele da Volterra, Pieter de Witte…
A guided tour inside the Palazzo Vitti to discover beauties from the East and the West of the world. The group will be led by the ‘alabaster traveller’ Giuseppe Viti who, in the 19th Century, faced one of the most adventurous journeys ever told to bring alabaster all over the world. From Volterra to New York, from Guadalajara to Paris, to Alexandria in Egypt… He also became Emir in Nepal and returned to his hometown to enrich it with the gifts we will discover together.
Category: walking tour, museums, theatre tour
- Groups up to 10 people: € 150,00
- Groups from 11 to 25 people: € 140,00 + € 2,00 ogni persona in più.
- For groups of more than 45 people, we suggest asking for a second guide.
Guarnacci Etruscan Museum and Art Gallery
- From March 14 to November 1: every day from 09:00 to 19:00
- From November 2nd to December 24th: every day from 10:00 to 16:30
- Christmas: closed
- From 26 to 31 December inclusive:every day from 10:00 to 18:00
- From January 9 to March 13: every day from 10:00 to 16:30
Entrance fee to each museum:
- € 8.00 full
- € 6.00 reduced (children 6-16, over 60, Coop and TCI members)
- € 6.00 Groups (min 15 pax)
Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art
- From 1st November to 4th November inclusive: every day continuous hours: 12:00 -17: 00 (Closed Monday)
- From November 6 to January 6: every day continuous hours: 10:00 -15: 00 (Closed Monday)
- From January 7, for the following months, we will provide new information
- The Museum, however, will stay open all year round, and possibly available upon reservation by contacting the contact details indicated above
- € 5.00 full
- € 3.00 reduced
- € 10.00 for families
- € 3.00 Students and Groups (min 20 pax)
- Free for residents
- Free for children up to 6 years
Volterra Card Rates (valid for 72 hours): Etruscan Museum Guarnacci, Pinacoteca, Ecomuseum of Alabaster, Palazzo Dei Priori, Acropolis, and Roman Theater
- € 16.00 full
- € 24.00 Family (2 adults with children)
- € 13.00 reduced (university students with the card, children 6-18, over 65, Coop Members, FAI, TCI and groups of adults min 6 pax)
- € 6.00 Student groups (students from schools outside the municipal area – min 10 pax)
- free for: children up to 6 years of age, residents of the Municipality of Volterra, disabled and accompanying persons, teachers and group leaders, authorized tourist guides, journalists, ICOM members/span>
PAYMENT CONDITIONS AND CANCELATION POLICY
Payment: directly to the guide or advanced by bank transfer following invoice. ** In case of payment by bank transfers from countries outside of the European Community, the bank charges will also be added to the invoice.
Cancellation Policy: In case of cancellation within 48 hours before the service or a no-show, the basic rate for groups up to 25 people will be applied.
- Double language supplement: € 40,00
- Evening supplement (after 8 p.m.): € 40,00
- Extra hour (duration of one HD guided tour is up to 3 hours): € 50,00
- Guide tours exempt form VAT (Art. 10, n. 22, Decree 633/72)
- Tickets or paid entrances are not included in the fee
- For groups of over 15 people, we suggest booking for headset support (we can do it for you)
- The ‘Half-Day guided tour’ lasts up to three non-divisible hours
In case of delay, the tour leader is required to notify us; otherwise, if the group doesn’t arrive within one hour, the tour will be considered a no-show.